Monday, February 20, 2012

Masks with Character!


At the high school level my beginning art students are creating ceramic mask sculptures.  Some of the criteria required is using slab, additive, and subtractive techniques.  I found this lesson from Arts and Activities latest issue.  I tweaked it to fit my group of students.  They were instructed on how the mask has played a role throughout history and some of its major influences.   Each student must develop a unique piece avoiding the temptation of 'copying' an already infamous mask.  In other words no Scream or Jigsaw versions!  I did however allow them to use resources for inspiration.  Each student will also utilize under-glazes and glazes to complete the finished piece.  I have posted below just a few of their works "in progress".  I will add more as they continue to work on these exciting projects.  Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment